Public Transportation Lawyer Near Me
Regional public transportation makes it easy to get around Central Ohio. After a bus accident, however, the process of recovering the compensation you deserve is often complex. Given the potential for serious injuries to a large number of people at one time—and the possibility that a government agency is liable—it can be difficult to navigate the claims process after this type of crash.
At Bressman Law, our record shows we can successfully handle this type of claim and get the payout our clients deserve. If you suffered injuries in a crash a public transportation employee caused, we can help you, too. We will review your case for free and explain your options for getting the money you need after an accident. Our public transportation lawyer serving Gahanna can go to work for you.
For a free legal consultation with a public transportation attorney in Gahanna, call (614) 538-1116
Can I Hold the Gahanna Public Transportation System Liable for My Damages?
If a public transportation employee acted in a careless or reckless manner and this led to you suffering injuries and financial damages, we can hold their employer financially liable. However, the process to recover the compensation you deserve differs significantly from a typical car accident case. We can help you navigate this process, ensuring you meet all applicable deadlines and recover the full payout you deserve.
When you ask our attorney to help you with your Gahanna bus accident claim, our personal injury team goes to work immediately. We investigate your accident and identify and collect evidence to prove negligence and liability. Because we are a small firm, your case gets the one-on-one attention it needs. This allows us to build a strong case to help us fight for the compensation you deserve. Some of the evidence we may use includes:
- The police report
- Interviews and other statements from witnesses
- Images from the scene or video of the crash
- Bus dashcam video, when available
- Mandatory post-accident driver alcohol and drug test results
- Any available digital data from the bus’s onboard computer
- Reports from accident reconstruction experts
- Information from other expert witnesses
Gahanna Public Transportation Attorney (614) 538-1116
Are There Special Laws That Apply in a Gahanna Public Transportation Case?
There are two legal theories that make it more complicated to file a claim and recover compensation after a public transportation accident than after most motor vehicle accidents in Gahanna.
Under Ohio’s Political Subdivision Tort Liability Act, it is sometimes impossible to hold a public agency liable for negligence. This law lists a number of exceptions, including damages that result from a motor vehicle accident. This means we can file a claim and collect compensation if an employee of a public transportation company acts in a careless or reckless manner while behind the wheel of a bus and causes a collision.
We only have a short time to file this type of claim. We will need to have all evidence collected and your case ready within a few months of the accident. For this reason, we encourage you to call us as soon as possible after a crash. You do not want to try to handle this type of claim on your own unless you are familiar with the process and how the laws apply to your situation.
Respondeat superior, also known as vicarious liability, is another legal doctrine that affects how we handle a claim based on a public transportation accident.
Under the theory of respondeat superior, the employer is liable for the negligent actions employees take while working. Because of this, most claims we file after a bus crash focus on recovering compensation from the Central Ohio Transit Authority (COTA).
Click to contact our Gahanna Personal Injury Lawyers today
Do Time Limits Apply to My Public Transportation Accident Case in Gahanna?
The short time allotted to file your lawsuit can include numerous laws. Your case might have a notification deadline if it involved a city or municipal bus. In addition, the outcome of your accident can limit the amount of time you have to file your lawsuit.
- The personal injury statute of limitations is generally two years, according to Ohio Revised Code Section 2305.10. This filing deadline applies to your case if you or someone you love was injured in the accident. The statutory clock starts running on the date the accident happened.
- The wrongful death statute of limitations is also generally two years, according to Ohio Revised Code Section 2125.02. This filing deadline applies to your case if someone you love was fatally injured in the accident. The statutory clock starts running on the date of their demise.
Your right to financial recovery can be compromised by an expired statute of limitations. At Bressman Law, our public transportation team will ensure your case is settled or your lawsuit is filed within the allotted time.
What Damages Can I Recover if the Statute of Limitations Does Not Expire?
A bus accident can leave you with serious injuries, whether you were a passenger on the bus, an occupant of another involved vehicle, or a pedestrian. We will help you collect damages that cover the costs of the medical care you need to recover from your injuries.
Your range of recoverable damages can include:
- Emergency and ongoing medical costs throughout your recovery
- Rehabilitation and therapy expenses until you reach maximum medical improvement
- Current and future losses of income when your injuries prevent you from working
- Property damage or total loss to cover the costs of repairing or replacing your damaged property
- Ongoing physical pain and suffering, mental and emotional distress, and anxiety
Our case assessment team will ensure your damage request is comprehensive and that no recoverable expenses or losses are overlooked. Our goal is to ensure your case is resolved with the best possible outcome for you.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Can a Public Transportation Attorney Serving Gahanna Help Me Get the Money I Need?
Getting compensation from COTA or another public agency requires you to meet strict deadlines and follow certain procedures. If you miss a deadline or fail to file the proper paperwork, you could put your payout in jeopardy. We are familiar with how these claims work and can ensure you meet all the necessary rules to get the money you deserve.
COTA also has a legal team on its side who is not interested in paying out significant amounts to passengers or motorists who suffered injuries. We can provide aggressive representation to counter any attempts to reduce the value of your claim or deny it outright.
We will fight tirelessly for the compensation you deserve if a public transportation employee caused your accident. We also have access to survey teams, accident reconstruction specialists, and other experts. They can help us prove negligence, liability, and the full range of your accident-related losses and damages. This can be key in winning the payout you deserve.
How Can a Public Transportation Lawyer Serving Gahanna Help Me?
We work with victims of all types of public transportation accidents, including:
- Bus passengers injured in a collision
- Bus passengers injured during other times the bus is in motion
- Motorists injured after a bus collided with their vehicle
- Pedestrians or cyclists injured in a collision with a bus
We offer free case reviews. If you believe COTA or another public transportation provider is at fault in your accident and liable for your injuries, you have nothing to lose by contacting us. If we find the agency broke a traffic law, caused an accident, or otherwise acted in a negligent manner, we can hold it liable and collect compensation on your behalf. We handle these cases on a contingency basis, meaning you pay no attorney’s fees until we recover the payout you deserve.
See Why Previous Clients Recommend Our Personal Injury Law Firm
Our previous clients can give you an idea of the service and support they receive from our legal team:
- Steve H.: “David and his staff at Bressman Law are absolutely the best! David was upfront and honest with us from the very beginning. He told us what to expect and the timeline of the case as it proceeded. We followed his advice and received a very nice settlement.”
- Dave C.: “Bressman Law is the best…I appreciate that Mr. Bressman really listened to what my family and I needed. He sought to facilitate our settlement according to our wishes…I would recommend Bressman Law 10 times out of 10. First-class!”
You can read additional reviews from satisfied clients on our testimonials page.
How Can I Discuss My Case With a Public Transportation Attorney Near Me?
Bressman Law is a small firm that treats every client like a member of our family. We offer our services throughout Greater Columbus, including Gahanna. We provide aggressive representation and ensure your right to full compensation remains protected. Call us today for your complimentary consultation and free case review.