Wrong-way drivers can cause head-on collisions, which may result in severe or fatal injuries. A Powell wrong way accident lawyer at Bressman Law can help you go after compensation for your losses if you got hurt or a loved one died because of a wrong-way driver in Powell, Ohio, or a surrounding area.
We do not charge for the initial consultation. You can call us today at (614) 538-1116 to get started on your case. Do not wait too long to contact us. According to the American Bar Association (ABA), if you miss the statutory deadline to file a personal injury lawsuit, you might not be eligible to go after money damages for your injuries.
What Can Cause a Wrong Way Accident
Several different situations can cause a person to end up driving in the wrong direction. Some of the more common causes include:
- Drunk driving: A person who gets behind the wheel while impaired by alcohol could end up in the wrong lane without realizing it.
- Confusion: Someone who is either a new driver or an older adult with cognitive issues might get confused about the correct lane and drive in the wrong direction as a result.
- Distracted driver: If an individual is not giving their full attention to driving, they might not notice when they drift into the path of oncoming traffic.
- Drowsy: After working a double shift or being up all night with a sick child, a person might fall asleep at the wheel and unintentionally change lanes.
- Road construction: When road construction sets up detours that divert drivers from their lanes, a person could end up driving the wrong way by accident.
These examples and more can cause a person to drive in the wrong direction and cause a collision.
For a free legal consultation with a wrong way accidents lawyer serving Powell, call (614) 538-1116
We Must Prove Who Is Liable for a Wrong Way Accident
Usually, the wrong-way driver is at fault in an accident. However, with any personal injury case, the plaintiff must prove the opposing party was negligent before they can assign liability. We must prove all four of these factors to hold the defendant responsible for your injuries and losses:
- Duty of care: Everyone who operates a motor vehicle on public streets has a legal obligation to pay attention and drive with caution.
- Breach of duty: Imagine a person reads and types text messages while behind the wheel. Engaging in that behavior while operating a moving car violates their duty to pay attention to the road and drive cautiously. When someone’s conduct fails to meet up to a legal standard, it is negligence.
- Causation: The careless act must be the cause of the accident. In this situation, the texting driver did not notice that the light had turned red. They blew through the intersection and broadsided a car that had the right of way. The negligent act of texting while driving caused the collision.
- Quantifiable damages: Usually, a person must have measurable losses to get financial compensation for a car accident. Physical injuries count as quantifiable damages. If someone got hurt because of the crash, the texting driver may be held liable for that person’s losses.
We can pursue a claim for money damages in cases where we can prove all four of these elements. We understand that this legal terminology can be a bit confusing. You do not have to learn the law to receive the benefits of our state’s legal protections.
A Powell wrong way accident lawyer at Bressman Law can help you determine who might be responsible for your losses. You can call us today at (614) 538-1116 for a free case evaluation.
Powell Wrong Way Accidents Lawyer Near Me (614) 538-1116
We Can Help You Calculate the Value of Your Wrong Way Accident Injury Claim
Every case is different. There is no general figure that measures how much compensation a claimant might be able to get for a wrong-way accident injury claim. Someone in the same vehicle as you might have different injuries or might recuperate at a different rate. The settlement value of your injury claim will depend on the facts of your situation.
These are a few examples of the kinds of money damages we have won for our clients:
- Lost wages: Your claim can include wages, salary, self-employment, and other forms of regular income that you missed because your injuries prevented you from being able to work.
- Diminished earning capacity: A severe injury can leave a person incapable of working the same number of hours or perform the same tasks as before. If you had to reduce your hours or take a lower-paying job because of your injuries, you may claim this as a financial loss.
- Medical bills: Medical treatment costs are usually compensable. This item can include ambulance trips, emergency room treatment, hospital stays, doctor’s appointments, surgeries, lab tests, prescription drugs, and physical therapy. You might have additional medical bills we can include in your claim.
- Long-term care: After a catastrophic injury, like spinal cord damage or a traumatic brain injury, a victim of a runway accident might need ongoing daily assistance with medical treatments and personal care. It might be necessary for that individual to move into a nursing home or get long-term care at home.
- Intangible losses: These items usually do not come with receipts or bills that make it easy to measure through dollar value. We can calculate the amount of reasonable compensation for these damages, which can include pain and suffering, disfigurement, and loss of enjoyment of life.
You might have additional losses from the wrong-way accident that can be a part of your claim for compensation.
How a Lawyer Can Help With Your Injury Claim
You do not have to tackle the insurance company and its claims adjusters, investigators, and defense attorneys all by yourself. A Powell wrong way accident lawyer at Bressman Law can handle your injury claim so that you can focus on getting better and rebuilding your life.
We fight hard to get our clients the compensation they are entitled to collect. Not every case gets settled, but we can file a lawsuit on your behalf if necessary. You can call us today at (614) 538-1116 to learn more about how we can help you.