Hilliard Personal Injury Lawyer
If you have been injured in an accident for which someone else is responsible, contact a local personal injury attorney about filing a claim for financial reimbursement for your injuries. An attorney will review your accident to make sure you have a valid claim and explain the next steps to take in the legal process. If you need to speak to an attorney in Hilliard, contact Bressman Law, a firm that specializes in personal injury cases.
Types of Personal Injury Claims
Any type of accident that causes injury to someone might qualify for a personal injury claim, provided there was fault or negligence involved. Our firm handles a wide range of personal injury cases, including those listed below.
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bus accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Injuries on another party’s property
- Slip and fall accidents
- Injuries related to defective products
- Wrongful death
Do you have a valid case worth pursuing?
Your attorney will be able to determine whether or not you have a viable claim. There are a few elements that must be present in order for the courts or insurance company to consider an injury claim valid.
- Duty – The party that you’re filing against (the defendant) must have a legal duty of care to you. For instance, manufacturers have a legal duty to their consumers to sell them only safe products. Likewise, a grocery store has a duty to its customers to ensure its floors are not slippery and that its aisles are free from tripping hazards.
- Negligence – Next, you must be able to show that the defendant failed to carry out his or her duty of care, i.e., he or she acted in a negligent or careless manner. For instance, the company manufactured a dangerous or defective product or the grocery store had wet, slick floors and didn’t put up adequate warning signage.
- Cause – For a claim to be valid, you also must be able to demonstrate a link between the defendant’s actions and your injury, i.e., your injuries must be caused by defendant’s actions (or inaction). For instance, the company sold a defective car seat that wound up hurting your child in a car accident.
- Injury – You must also have actual, demonstrable damages. You can validate your damages with evidence such as hospital bills, doctor’s prognoses, proof of lost wages, etc.
Damages You May Recover in a Personal Injury Claim
If your attorney believes your claim is valid and worth pursuing, he or she will help list and calculate the value of your damages. Essentially, you can include nearly any type of loss suffered as a result of your injury. Below are the two main categories of damages.
- Special – Special damages, also referred to as economic damages, are quantifiable financial losses, such as treatment costs, lost wages, hiring help to do the tasks at home you normally do, and the cost of renovating your home to accommodate a new disability.
- General – General damages, or non-economic damages, are the intangible, harder-to-quantify damages, such as pain and suffering, mental anguish, damages to your marriage and other relationships, and a reduced quality of life.
Call a Personal Injury Attorney in Hilliard
For a free consultation with a personal injury attorney in Hilliard, contact Bressman Law today. Call 866-777-6680 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation at your convenience and let David Bressman discuss the particulars of your case with you.