To get the most money from a car accident, you should consider taking a variety of measures to prove that another driver caused your injuries and that your financial losses are due to their negligence.
Those measures include:
- Filing a police report
- Keeping all documents related to the collision
- Seeking medical treatment
- Not admitting fault
- Reaching out to the law firm of a personal injury lawyer
Following a car accident, injured claimants are able to pursue damages through personal injury claims or lawsuits. There is no set value per accident, as each case is examined based on its individual circumstances. Yet, there are some steps you can take to improve your case’s success. These steps, in turn, can help you recover compensation from a car accident.
Considerations After a Collision
It is always a good idea to think ahead in regard to your legal matters. As stated by the Insurance Information Institute (III), being prepared ahead of time can be very important if you are involved in an accident. It may be helpful to keep a post-accident checklist in your vehicle to help you cover your bases after being injured in a collision.
Some of the most important steps you can take right after an accident include:
For a free legal consultation, call (614) 538-1116
Filing a Police Report
Ohio Revised Code § 5502.11 notes that you must file a police or crash report within five days of a collision if the incident resulted in any injuries, deaths, or property damage exceeding $1,000. If you choose to move forward with a personal injury case, the information in the police report will give your lawyer important pieces of information. These details may include the other driver’s vehicle information, diagrams regarding the accident scene, and statements regarding fault.
Keeping All Documents Related to the Collision
At the accident scene, you may have taken photos and videos of your property damage and injuries. Your lawyer can use this information to establish the extent of your damages. Additionally, these pieces of evidence can be used to correct any misinformation that may be in the police report.
You may have also collected documents that relate to your medical care. The names of your medications, health care team, and follow-up appointment dates can be used to demonstrate the nature of your collision-related injuries. While your lawyer can gather many pieces of information on your behalf, you can get the most money from a car accident by holding onto certain documents.
Seeking Medical Treatment
As soon as you are able, it is important to seek medical care. Whether this occurs immediately after the accident or in the days afterward, it is extremely important to receive medical attention. If you intend to pursue a personal injury claim, you will need to have documentation related to your injuries. The information you get from your doctor can be used to supplement your case.
Furthermore, even if you do not think you are injured, some injuries after an accident, such as a herniated disc, may not be immediately apparent. The sooner you begin the process of receiving medical care, the sooner you can begin collecting documentation of your injuries.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Not Admitting Fault
Even if you think you caused or contributed to the accident in any way, never admit fault. This is very important in regard to protecting your rights. Ohio operates under comparative negligence laws. That means, following a car accident, both parties may be assigned a portion of fault.
For instance, you may be assigned 20% fault for an accident, while the other party may be assigned 80% fault. Your portion of fault will be deducted from the amount of compensation you can recover, per Ohio Revised Code § 2315.33. With this information in mind, you do not want to admit any level of fault for the accident.
How an Ohio Car Accident Lawyer Can Help You
After an accident, you may be able to file a claim for compensation. An attorney may be able to help you build a solid case that demonstrates your injuries and losses.
In some instances, insurance companies attempt to settle cases with low offers. They do this to save their company money and protect their bottom line. Your attorney can provide assistance by working with the insurance companies and negotiating with them on your behalf.
Let Bressman Law Fight for Your Rights
If you are interested in learning more about the ways you may be able to get the most money from a car accident, contact Bressman Law. We offer a free case evaluation, and no fees are required upfront to get our help. When you work with our team, we will fight hard to protect your rights. We want to help you recover a fair settlement that covers your damages after an accident.
Call us today at (617) 877-6303.