Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me
Bicyclists typically sustain serious injuries when they are involved in an accident, resulting in high medical bills and other expenses, as well as short- or long-term disability complications. To ensure you get the medical care you need and that you can make ends meet if you miss work due to your injuries, you need to pursue maximum compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
Our bicycle accident lawyers in Dublin, OH at Bressman Law can help. Our team can assist you with filing your claim, proving your case, and fighting for the compensation you deserve. Contact us today at 877-707-1385 for a free consultation.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Dublin, call (877) 538-1116
Does auto insurance cover bicycle accident injuries?
In most cases, yes. If a driver caused your accident, the driver’s liability insurance should cover your medical bills and other losses. Registered drivers in Ohio must carry at least $25,000 in liability coverage. You can recover up to that amount for your losses, but you will need to prove that the driver’s negligence is what caused your accident.
Negligence can include various behaviors including:
- Speeding and aggressive driving
- Distracted driving (e.g., texting, talking on the phone, daydreaming, etc.)
- Driving while intoxicated
- Running red lights
- Not using turn signals
If the driver who hit you was uninsured (and 12 to 15 percent of drivers in Ohio are, according to a 2014 report from the Insurance Research Council), you have two options: file an accident claim with your own insurance or sue the at-fault driver directly. In either case, we can help you determine your best options.
Dublin Bicycle Accidents Lawyer Near Me (877) 538-1116
What if both parties are at fault for the bicycle accident?
Sometimes, one party is plainly at fault. For instance, if a drunk driver swerved into the bike path and struck you, fault is obvious. Other cases might be more complex though. When fault is unclear or arguable, the insurance company might try to pin you with total or partial blame.
If it succeeds in doing so, the insurance company will reduce your settlement by your degree of fault, as per Ohio’s comparative negligence law. For example, if you were 30 percent at fault, you will only recover 70 percent of your damages, e.g., $70,000 of a $100,000 potential settlement.
To ensure the insurance company handles your bicycle accident claim fairly and that get you the full amount of compensation you deserve, have a Bressman Law bicycle accident attorney in Dublin, OH review your case and counsel you on how to proceed before you finalize your claim.
What kinds of damages can I recover after a bicycle accident?
Injury liability claims compensate victims for the expenses and losses they sustained as a result of another party’s negligence. The monetary awards you receive are to “make you whole again,” which means to put you back in the same position financially as before the accident.
You can pursue recovery for your monetary and non-monetary losses, such as:
- Medical and rehabilitation costs
- Loss of wages, work benefits, promotion, etc.
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Scarring and disfigurement
- The cost of bike repairs
- Emotional harms, pain and suffering, mental anguish
- Death benefits such as funeral expenses and loss of future wages (for family members whose loved one died in a bicycle accident)
TIP: Speak with our bicycle accident lawyer for help creating a comprehensive list of your current and future needs so that we can demand appropriate damages.
Be forewarned that the insurer might offer you a quick settlement shortly after your accident, but the initial offer will probably be much lower than what you are actually entitled to. If you agree to an offer before the extent of your injuries is clear, you could wind up losing out on thousands of dollars. We will make sure that does not happen and that you receive what you deserve.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What steps do I take if I was hurt in a bicycle accident in Dublin, OH?
There were almost 1,500 bicycle accidents in Ohio in 2015, reports the Ohio Department of Public Safety (ODPS). Two dozen people died and over 1,200 suffered injuries in these accidents.
If ever you are involved in a bicycle accident, tending to your injuries and seeking medical care is your main priority. Get a medical evaluation even if you think your injuries are not severe. This will not only protect your health, but also your legal interests.
There are other things you should do, too:
- If you called the police to the scene, obtain a copy of the police report.
- Start getting organized. Put all information regarding the accident in a folder (e.g., the driver’s name, contact information, car make/model, and insurance information; photos of the accident scene, damage to your bike and any cars involved, and your injuries; the name, number, and any statements you received from witnesses).
- Do not admit fault or accuse the driver of anything. Discuss liability with your lawyer first.
- Call Bressman Law to speak with a bicycle accident lawyer about your case — preferably before you speak with an insurance adjuster. David Bressman will explain your legal options and how to proceed with the insurer. We will also interview any witnesses who were on the scene to get a better idea of how the accident occurred.
- Continue with your medical care and save all of your bills and receipts related to your injuries. Start an injury journal to document your daily pain levels, progress, treatments, and how your injuries are impacting your life. Share the journal with your lawyer so that we can make your story and your injuries clear to the insurer or court.
Is there a bicycle accident lawyer near me?
Yes. At Bressman Law, we provide free legal consultations to injured Dublin, OH cyclists and their family members. We also have a “You don’t pay unless you win” fee policy, so there are no upfront legal fees on your part. We can help with all aspects of a bicycle accident case, negotiate with the insurance company, prove liability and damages, and get you the highest settlement possible.
Call us today to schedule your consultation: 877-707-1385.