A traumatic brain injury (TBI) can completely alter the scope of a person’s life. It can mean long-term medical care and rehabilitation, permanent functional limitations, and a huge burden on finances. If you or a loved one has recently sustained a TBI, it is important to explore potential avenues of compensation so that your future is provided for. You may be able to file an injury claim and recover damages for your current and future medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses.
A traumatic brain injury lawyer in Dublin, OH with Bressman Law can help. We serve Dublin and all nearby communities. We can review your case, determine if you are eligible to file a claim, and then explain how to pursue compensation for your injury. Contact our office today at (614) 538-1116 and schedule a free consultation.
Am I Eligible to File a Personal Injury Claim for My Traumatic Brain Injury?
TBIs result from a wide variety of events, including falls, auto accidents, sports injuries, violence, combat, and blows to the head. For a TBI to qualify you to file a personal injury claim, you must assess causation. In other words, did another party cause or contribute to your brain injury?
You can recover compensation if another party:
- owed you a duty of care
- somehow breached that duty by acting in a negligent manner
- caused you to sustain a TBI
For instance, all drivers have a duty of care or legal responsibility to drive safely so as not to pose an unreasonable risk to other road users. If a driver drives drunk, crashes into your car, and injures you, s/he is financially liable for your damages. You can file a claim against the driver and collect compensation for your current and future losses.
For a free legal consultation with a traumatic brain injury attorney in Dublin, call (614) 538-1116
Do I Need a Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer to File an Injury Claim?
Traumatic brain injury cases are complicated. For example, you must be able to prove that the other party caused your injury and use medical evidence to prove the extent of your injuries and how much your total lifetime costs will be. And proving the subjective symptoms and effects of a brain injury, such as adverse personality changes, memory loss, emotional imbalance, and learning impairments, to an insurance adjuster or judge can be challenging.
A lawyer with experience handling TBIs knows how to substantiate these types of claims and can be very beneficial to your case.
A TBI can result in millions of dollars in lifetime medical and rehabilitation expenses. Depending on the severity of the injury, victims and their families can expect to pay anywhere between $85,000 and $3 million, reports the University of Alabama at Birmingham Traumatic Brain Injury Model System.
As you can see, there is a lot riding on the outcome of your case. It is imperative that you handle it correctly and pursue it aggressively, something only a legal professional has been trained to do. Most people are unfamiliar with the legal processes, rules, responsibilities, timelines, and negotiation strategies required for personal injury claims. It is easy to make a mistake or oversight that could cause you to lose your case.
It is far more advantageous to entrust your case to a TBI lawyer at Bressman Law. We can manage the investigation, insurance, and legal issues so that you can focus on rehabilitation.
Dublin Traumatic Brain Injury Attorney (614) 538-1116
What Types of TBI Cases does Bressman Law Handle?
Our team at Bressman Law represents clients who were injured in various ways. Some of the most common TBI cases involve:
- Auto accidents
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents
- Industrial and construction accidents
- Childhood TBI accidents
- Battery and other acts of violence
Click to contact our Dublin Personal Injury Lawyers today
What Types of Damages Can I Recover for a TBI?
When you file a personal injury claim, you can pursue compensation for all of your current and future losses related to your TBI. There are three categories of damages that TBI victims may be entitled to:
- Special damages: Special damages compensate you for the tangible, monetary losses you sustain due to an injury. These include medical bills, rehabilitation, in-home nurse care, household services, loss of wages, loss of work benefits, lost earning capacity, and long-term disability.
- General damages: General damages, sometimes referred to as pain and suffering damages, compensate you for the intangible losses you sustain that do not have an inherent dollar value, like emotional anguish. Other general damages include post-traumatic stress disorder, physical pain, depression, and loss of qualify of life.
- Punitive damages: Unlike general and special damages that compensate you for your losses, punitive damages punish the negligent party (defendant) for misconduct and deter future wrongdoing. Not all injury cases involve punitive damages. Juries only award punitive damages in cases where the defendant’s actions were grossly negligent, malicious, or willful.
When you work with Bressman Law, we will carefully assess the value of your case and calculate damages. With TBIs, we often work with forensic economic experts and medical experts to ensure we account for all of your needs to receive a fair award.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Can I Afford an Attorney to Assist with My TBI Case?
At Bressman Law, we believe injured victims in Dublin, OH, and surrounding communities should have access to quality legal representation, regardless of their current financial situation. Therefore, we do not charge our clients upfront legal fees for personal injury cases. We only get paid if and when you win your case, so there are never any out-of-pocket expenses on your part.
This is part of our dedication to helping clients get compensation at difficult times in their lives, such as after suffering a serious injury.
What Are The Symptoms of a Traumatic Brain Injury?
No two brain injuries are the same, and TBI symptoms can vary from person to person. Further, a TBI may be difficult to identify as symptoms are similar to other health conditions, making them challenging to diagnose. To assist our clients, we work alongside medical professionals who can provide expert testimony to support your case.
According to Mayo Clinic, symptoms of TBIs can include:
- Loss of consciousness from several minutes to hours
- A persistent headache or a headache that worsens
- Clear fluid draining from the nose or ears
- Weakness or numbness in fingers or toes
- Memory or concentration problems
- Repeated vomiting or nausea
- Dilation of one or both pupils
- Convulsions or seizures
- Unusual mood changes
- Loss of coordination
- Difficulty sleeping
- Blurred vision
- Slurred speech
If you recognize some of the symptoms of a TBI following an accident, it is important to seek medical advice as soon as possible. A medical diagnosis is essential for your health and wellbeing, and it can also provide valuable evidence in your case.
Why Choose Bressman Law?
At Bressman Law, we want to secure fair compensation for you and your family. We understand how devastating serious injuries, such as TBIs, can be for victims and their families. We provide compassionate legal care so you can focus on your health. Take a look at a few things that set us apart:
- We have been serving Ohio personal injury clients for more than 30 years
- We offer free initial consultations
- Our team can handle your case on a contingency-fee basis
- Our client testimonials speak to our dedication to victims
- We have litigated accident cases involving complex injuries, such as TBI’s
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
Per Ohio Revised Code Section 2305.10, you generally have two years to file an injury lawsuit from the date of the accident or from the date you discovered an injury or impairment. If the accident caused the loss of a loved one, the filing date for a wrongful death lawsuit must fall within two years of your loved one’s passing.
We’re Here to Help You Get the Justice and Compensation You Deserve
If you have or are suffering from a TBI, we are here to support you. While you rest and recover, we can handle the legal legwork from start to finish. We advocate for victims of negligence, and now we want to see how we can help you and your family.
Let us help you get the justice and compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation with our traumatic brain injury lawyers in Dublin, OH. Call (877) 538-1116.
Call or text (614) 538-1116 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form