If you have sustained a concussion injury due to an accident, you may be entitled to compensation. The process of recovering damages can be complicated, especially if your injuries are serious.
If you have any questions about how to proceed with a claim or whether your injuries qualify you for compensation, we can discuss your accident during a free consultation. A concussion lawyer serving Hilliard from Bressman Law can help with your case.
Signs of a Concussion Can Be Overlooked and Emerge Over Time
A concussion is a type of traumatic brain injury (TBI) occurring when the body is hit at force, such as from the impact of a car accident, causing the head to snap back and forth quickly. This type of injury may have a delayed onset of numerous symptoms, which can vary widely between different people.
While many people recover from a concussion quickly, for others, it can be more serious. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), if you are experiencing (or experienced) any of the following symptoms after a car accident, it could be more than the accident’s shock or a simple case of whiplash.
- Temporary loss of consciousness
- Ringing in the ears
- Nausea and vomiting
- Slurred speech
- Concentration and memory problems
- Sensitivity to light and noise
- Disturbed sleep
- Taste or smell disorders
- Personality changes
Along with calling the police, who are responsible for completing crash reports, it is essential to seek medical advice after a car accident, even if you feel unharmed. It may be that the shock of an auto collision could mask other symptoms in the hours and days after an accident. Having your injuries diagnosed and treated is a priority to avoid any further health complications.
Having your injuries properly documented by a doctor or other health practitioner can help support your case as evidence of the harm you suffered from the accident, along with the photographs from the collision report investigation by the Ohio police.
A concussion lawyer serving Hilliard can help you at this challenging time by simplifying the compensation process for you and taking on the legal burden. At the same time, you concentrate on what is important: getting your life back on track.
For a free legal consultation with a concussion accident attorney in Hilliard, call (614) 538-1116
Examples of Negligent Driving That Increase the Risk of an Accident
The aftermath of a car accident can result in far-reaching effects on a person’s life. Often in pain and unable to work, victims are forced to manage not only physical and emotional harm, but they must contend with the financial consequences of an accident.
Below are examples of reckless behavior behind the wheel that features in many accidents, according to research from the U.S Department of Transportation (DOT):
- Distracted driving, such as using a cellphone or reading a text
- Driving while fatigued, which affects reaction speed and concentration
- Driving while intoxicated by alcohol, drugs, or prescribed medicine
- Speeding and other aggressive driving behaviors
Proving negligence is a critical factor in personal injury concussion claims. It can add complexity to the legal process if the other motorist denies responsibility or tries to apportion some of the blame to you. Having a lawyer protecting your rights and fighting your corner can ensure you are treated fairly, and the facts of the accident are not blurred in favor of the at-fault party’s insurance company.
Hilliard Concussion Accident Attorney (614) 538-1116
Compensation for Injuries and Factors that Could Affect Your Claim
When you file a claim against another motorist’s insurance policy, you will most likely be contacted by their insurance company and asked about the accident. It can be beneficial to consult with your lawyer beforehand and have them handle all communications with the insurance company. This could help to prevent any mistakes that may harm your claim (and the amount of any subsequent compensation).
A concussion lawyer serving Hilliard will be able to investigate the details of your case and the impact of your injuries; this will be helpful when reviewing any settlement offers from the other driver’s insurance company. Often, initial offers do not consider the full value of your current and any future expenses incurred through:
- Current and ongoing medical bills
- Rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages and reduced future earning capacity
- Psychological trauma
- Pain, suffering, and inconvenience
- Funeral and other expenses in the event of wrongful death
It is important to allow yourself enough time to pursue compensation. In Ohio, some laws can affect your right to claim compensation if you do not file in time. Defined under Ohio Revised Code § 2305.10, you generally have two years to begin legal action. While this may seem a lengthy period, acting promptly will allow your lawyer to preserve and gather the evidence needed for a robust case.
If you would like us to handle communications with an insurer or if you have questions about qualifying for compensation, Bressman Law is here to help. We are on hand to address your concerns in a free review of your situation.
Click to contact our Hilliard Car Accident Lawyers today
Get Help with Your Compensation Claim from a Concussion Attorney Serving Hilliard
With over 25 years of courtroom experience, Bressman Law’s team helps Ohioans who have been injured by a negligent party. We provide a comprehensive service and fight to get you the compensation you deserve by:
- Providing a thorough investigation into the cause of your accident
- Requesting and gathering vital evidence to support your case
- Identifying responsible parties
- Proving another’s negligence resulted in your injuries
- Estimating the impact of your injuries and other related loses
- Negotiations with at-fault parties’ insurance companies
- Reviewing settlement offers for fairness
- Representing you in court when a settlement cannot be agreed upon
Our law firm never stops fighting for clients like you or for the financial compensation you are entitled to when someone else’s negligence is the cause of your accident and injuries.
We Will Establish the Legal Elements of Negligence
When our law firm handles your case, we take care of all its related details. To ensure you can request the compensation you need and deserve, we work hard to prove the four legally required elements of negligence.
- Duty: The at-fault driver owed you a duty of reasonable care while sharing the road.
- Breach: The at-fault driver breached their responsibility by acting carelessly or recklessly while driving.
- Causation: The at-fault driver’s action or failure to take appropriate action was the cause of the collision and your resulting concussion.
- Damages: The at-fault driver’s actions caused your post-accident financial consequences.
We do not tax you or your family with collecting evidence or taking any other action to build your case. We leave no stone unturned in building your case file so you can concentrate on getting better.
Evidence That Proves the Accident’s Cause and Subsequent Costs
The evidence in your case tells the story of your accident and concussion. Some car accident cases are settled out of court, while others go to trial. When we collect evidence for you, we organize it into two categories—proof of negligence and proof of financial damages—and present it to the insurance company.
Your evidence file may contain:
- Official car accident report
- Medical records and bills
- Statements from witnesses
- Accident scene and injury photos
- Proof of income and income loss
Leave evidence collection and the insurance company to us. We will handle the negation process, field and review each settlement offer you receive, and clarify its advantages and disadvantages. The final decision to accept or reject an offer is always yours to make, but we ensure you have the information you need to make a well-informed decision.
Read What Previous Clients Say About Working With Our Car Accident Team
Recommendations from clients we represented in the past offer insight into working with our law firm. When previous clients tell others about our commitment to their cases, they say the following:
- Aaron A.: “I was not looking forward to engaging a lawyer to handle my car accident case. Fortunately, a friend recommended David and I couldn’t have been happier. He took care of everything and explained the process in an easy-to-understand way.”
- Steve H.: “David and his staff at Bressman Law are absolutely the best! David was upfront and honest with us from the very beginning. He told us what to expect and…We followed his advice and received a very nice settlement that we were satisfied with.”
Every client and every case our car accident attorneys handle is a priority for every member of our team. We work hard to provide 360-degree client care and support. Browse the video and written reviews on our client testimonials page for more client recommendations.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Review Your Car Accident Case Today
Our clients have relied on us to protect their financial well-being after being injured in accidents caused by another’s negligence. We want to help you too. Reach out today to discuss your legal options and learn more about our services.