If you live or have spent time in the Whitehall area, you probably have noticed cyclists on the road. While bicycling can be a fun hobby or even a means of daily transportation, sometimes cyclists like you can be involved in dangerous accidents.
Victims of bicycle accidents have legal options and could even recover compensation. A Whitehall bicycle accident lawyer can help.
Filing a Claim for Compensation
Following your bicycle accident, you have the option to file a claim. Not every claim results in compensation, but if your claim is successful it could result in one or more of the following:
- Reimbursement for medical expenses and legal fees
- Damages for emotional trauma
- Reimbursement for lost wages if your employment was affected by your accident
- Compensation for damage to your bicycle or other personal item
Compensation Payment Structure
If your claim is successful and you receive compensation, an important decision ahead is how to receive this money. In general, compensation payment structures are either single lump-sum payments or a series of smaller payments made over time.
While a lump-sum payment is appealing because you can recover all compensation at once, smaller installments can actually accumulate to a higher total.
Everyone has different financial needs and goals. If you find yourself in the position of receiving compensation it could therefore be worth your time to consult with a financial professional.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accident attorney in Whitehall, call (614) 538-1116
Having a Lawyer By Your Side
You deserve to focus on your physical recovery after an accident, not the legal process. Having a lawyer by your side can allow you to seek compensation while tending to your health.
Our lawyers can help gather details and evidence and fill out and file tedious, time-consuming paperwork. They can answer any questions that arise throughout the process, as well.
Additionally, lawyers can help ensure you meet any deadlines, allow you to understand the types of available compensation, offer general support, and much more.
If you are worried about the legal fees associated with hiring a lawyer, you are not alone. Legal fees typically accrue by the hour and can accumulate fast. We work on a contingency-fee basis so our clients don’t have to worry about incurring more financial losses. You pay nothing up front and only a percentage of a potential settlement.
Whitehall Bicycle Accident Attorney (614) 538-1116
There are many possible factors that may have contributed to your bicycle accident. Some cases are straightforward with a clear party at fault, while others can be more complicated. External factors, like the weather, can also play a role in bicycle accidents.
Understanding the various causes of bicycle accidents is important because it can help you figure out if someone else was to blame. If a third party caused your accident, they could be held liable for your suffering and loss.
Click to contact our Whitehall Personal Injury Lawyers today
Possible Causes of Your Accident
Common causes of bicycle accidents and possible examples of third-party liability in cases like yours include:
- Drunk and Intoxicated Driving: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), one in four fatal bicycle accidents in 2019 involved alcohol. A drunk or intoxicated driver could be liable in your case.
- Speeding Vehicles: Speeding vehicles on the road are dangerous for other vehicles, pedestrians, and cyclists. Drivers traveling too fast can have a difficult time controlling their vehicle and this can lead to devastating accidents for cyclists like you.
- Traffic Law Violations: Traffic laws keep everyone on the road safe. If a driver ran a stop sign, changed lanes without a signal, improperly yielded, or broke any traffic law they could be legally at fault for your accident.
- Reckless Driving: Reckless driving includes any form of careless or negligent behavior on the road that poses a threat to others. If a wild or reckless driver contributed to your accident you may have legal options.
- Inexperience: It takes time to gain experience on the road, and while it is not illegal to be an inexperienced driver, it certainly can be dangerous. It is possible that an inexperienced driver contributed to your accident.
- Distracted Driving: Distracted driving has unfortunately become more of a problem in recent years with the increased use of cell phones, navigation systems, and other forms of technology. Any action that takes attention away from the road could be proof of third-party liability in your accident.
- Cargo Or Obstructions On The Road: While a large and powerful vehicle can sometimes manage to drive over obstructions on the road, any loose impediment or object can be hazardous to bicyclists. If a piece of cargo fell out of a truck or vehicle and caused your accident, the failure to properly load cargo could be the fault of another driver on the road.
If you think you have a case following your accident, you could have a limited amount of time to file your claim.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Statute of Limitations
The statute of limitations refers to how long you have to file a lawsuit after an accident. Because bicycle accident injuries fall under the umbrella of personal injury cases, Ohio Revised Code Section 2305.10 gives you two years to file a suit following your accident. If your accident was recent, it could be in your interest to act quickly and put this difficult chapter of your life behind you.
If your accident happened months or more than a year ago, your time could be running out to file a claim. Our Whitehall bicycle accident lawyer can help you file your lawsuit before it is too late.
Contact Us Today
Life after a bicycle accident can be difficult, but receiving compensation for your losses can help ease the pain. If you are interested in pursuing compensation, justice, and closure, our team at Bressman Law is available to help you fight for what you deserve. Find out more during a free consultation today.