It is not usually recommended that you accept an offer from an insurance company for your truck accident in Ohio. Instead, it is a better idea to discuss your Ohio truck accident case with an attorney who regularly negotiates this type of settlement and represents victims like you in court.
A truck accident lawyer serving Ohio may be able to reach an out-of-court settlement on your behalf, but only after investigating the accident and collecting evidence to prove the value of your case. He will know the types of damages that victims often suffer in this type of accident and can ensure you are not leaving thousands of dollars on the table.
Talking to an Attorney Does Not Mean You Have to Go to Trial
The truck accident attorneys understand what causes truck accidents, how to identify the liable parties, and how Ohio auto insurance laws affect what you can recover. They apply their experience helping truck accident victims in similar cases to help you recover the payout you need based on the facts of your case.
Often, a truck accident lawyer can settle these cases out of court. However, he will not settle for an offer that is not fair based on your expenses and losses. You also have the final say in every decision, although, he will offer you advice and guidance throughout the process.
Attorneys Can Help You Build a Strong Case for Compensation After an Ohio Truck Accident
A truck accident lawyer understands what is needed to build a case and show damages. He will investigate your truck accident, gather the evidence, and prove your damages.
This will include:
- Sending a letter to the trucking company demanding they preserve any evidence in your case
- Managing all communication with the truck driver, trucking company, insurers, and any attorneys
- Identifying the potentially liable parties and building a case against them
- Calling in accident reconstruction specialists, medical experts, economic experts, and others to testify on your behalf if necessary
- Collecting bills, receipts, and estimates for your medical care, lost wages, and more
This type of investigation is especially important when a truck driver or mechanical failure on a truck caused the accident. The trucking company may have a wealth of evidence that helps us put a fair settlement estimate on your case, and we need to gain access to this evidence. It could include:
- Truck logs, both manual and electronic
- Onboard computer data
- Video from an onboard camera
- Post-accident drug and alcohol test results
- Documenting the damage to the truck and trailer
- Previous incidents documented in the driver’s employee file
- Other key information
Only after we have all the evidence and understand the case against the driver and trucking company–and the damages you suffered–will we take steps to reach a settlement agreement or pursue litigation.
Your Case Is Likely Worth Much More Than the Insurance Company’s Initial Offer
Insurance companies are businesses. As such, they do not usually want to pay out any more than they need to after a trucking accident. They know your losses and expenses likely total more than they offer you, and they hope you accept their offer without consulting an attorney.
When we investigate your accident and collect proof of your damages, some of the damages recoverable may include:
- Past and future medical treatment and related costs
- Ongoing care costs for serious or permanent injuries
- Lost wages and benefits
- Diminished earning capacity
- Repair or replacement of your vehicle
- Out-of-pocket costs related to the accident and your injuries
- Pain and suffering damages and other non-economic losses
- Wrongful death damages
The statute of limitations to take action after a car accident is generally two years under Ohio Code Sec. 2305.10. This means you only have two years from the date of the accident to take legal action and hold the truck driver and their employer liable in court. Give us a call quickly after an accident to let us get to work on your case.
Talk to a Truck Accident Attorney Serving Ohio About Your Case Today
For more than 30 years, David Bressman has been a personal injury attorney serving throughout Ohio. He understands what it takes to prove a case and demonstrate damages. At Bressman Law, David and his team will take action to learn as much as possible about your truck accident, collect and analyze all available evidence, and prove your damages. He will help you to understand the value of your case and how to pursue the payout you need and deserve to cover your losses.
We offer free case reviews, and you can speak with a member of their team today. According to the Ohio State Highway Patrol, there were over 120 heavy truck accidents in 2018 in our state. If you have been impacted by a truck accident, reach out to us.
Call (877) 538-1116 before you accept an offer from an insurance company for your truck accident in Ohio.