Defective Truck Equipment Accidents

Truck accidents hurt hundreds of people every year in Ohio. In fact, in the year 2014, there were 21,290 truck accidents. Of those, 127 resulted in fatal injuries, and 4,270 of them caused injuries (in 16,893 accidents, only property damage occurred). This is alarming as the common types of injuries victims sustain in serious car accidents, i.e., truck accidents, are traumatic brain injury and broken bones.

While 58.9 percent of these accidents were caused by truck driver errors, the other 41.1 percent were caused by other factors. One cause of truck accidents is defective equipment.

Types of Defective Truck Equipment Leading to an Accident

When equipment on a truck is defective, then an accident may occur that neither the truck driver nor other drivers have control over. For example, brake failure truck accidents can be especially dangerous because the trucker is unable to come to a stop to avoid striking other vehicles. Other types of faulty equipment that may increase the chances of an accident include the following.

  • Tires
  • Steering equipment
  • Cargo securement systems
  • Trailer attachment
  • Suspension system
  • Engine
  • Transmission
  • Lighting

When any of the above fails, a truck driver may have a hard time navigating, controlling the vehicle, or preventing the spill of cargo.

Who is liable for an accident caused by defective equipment?

It is rare for either the truck driver or the other driver involved to be held responsible for an accident caused by equipment failure; instead, those parties who may be responsible are typically either the trucking company or the equipment’s manufacturer.

The former—the trucking company—may be liable if the accident and equipment failure could have been prevented with adequate and routine maintenance, but the trucking company did not order truck maintenance/repair. The equipment’s manufacturer might be liable if the defect was inherent because product liability laws require manufacturers to produce items that are safe for general use.

Damages Available

When a defective piece of equipment causes an accident, determining who was to blame is necessary for recovering damages. Once you determine fault, the injured party can pursue compensation for the cost of medical expenses, lost wages, future loss of earning capacity, and even pain and suffering damages.

Accident Caused By Defective Truck Equipment? A Lawyer Can Help

Accidents caused by defective equipment make for some of the most complicated injury claims; knowing what went wrong with the equipment and why can be challenging to pinpoint.

To guide you through the discovery process, gathering evidence, determining fault, and filing a claim, call an attorney. At Bressman Law, a Columbus truck accident lawyer will help you learn all there is to know about truck accident claims. To learn more call 877-538-1116 today. Alternately, you can fill out this contact form.