When the driver of a passenger car acts in a careless or reckless way and collides with a motorcycle, the motorcyclist often suffers devastating, even disfiguring injuries. In Ohio, crash victims can hold the passenger car driver who caused the motorcycle accident accountable for their negligent actions. A Powell motorcycle accident lawyer can help you with this process.
If you believe someone else caused your motorcycle crash, the personal injury team from Bressman Law will review your case for free. An auto accident lawyer can explain your rights, identify the liable party or parties, and help you file an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. Call (614) 538-1116 today to discuss your crash with attorney David Bressman or another member of our motorcycle accident team.
Damages Available in a Successful Powell, OH, Motorcycle Accident Case
After we investigate the crash and understand your full range of expenses and losses, we can give you a potential value for your case. Some of the most common types of damages we recover for our clients after motorcycle accidents include the following:
Medical Care and Related Expenses
If we win your motorcycle accident claim or lawsuit, your compensation should include your full range of medical expenses related to your crash. Some of the most common medical costs include:
- Ambulance transportation;
- Emergency department evaluation and treatment;
- Clinical testing and medical imaging scans;
- Surgical treatment;
- Inpatient rehabilitation;
- Outpatient therapies;
- Ongoing care costs; and
- Medical equipment, including wheelchairs and hospital beds.
Other Economic Expenses and Losses
In addition to your medical care, we might be able to recover compensation for the rest of your motorcycle accident-related economic losses. These damages include almost any related expense, such as:
- Lost wages;
- Diminished earning capacity;
- Loss of household services;
- The repair or replacement of your motorcycle;
- The cost to replace your helmet and any other bike accessories;
- The cost to replace other personal property;
- Out-of-pocket expenses; and
- Other costs or financial losses.
The value of your emotional damages can sometimes be exponentially larger than economic damages in a motorcycle accident case. While recovering compensation for your economic expenses is paramount, we also try to recover a fair payout to help you bounce back from your emotional damages.
These damages can include money for your:
- Physical pain;
- Emotional suffering; and
- Mental anguish.
Our motorcycle accident lawyers serving Powell, OH, will calculate your pain and suffering damages based on the details of your case.
Wrongful Death Damages for Surviving Family Members
If you lost an immediate family member in a Powell motorcycle accident, we might also be able to help you pursue a wrongful death action. This type of legal action could allow you to collect compensation for your own losses related to your loved one’s accident and death. These expenses often include:
- Funeral and burial costs;
- Your own mental anguish; and
- Other emotional damages.
In some cases, a fatal motorcycle crash case qualifies for a survival action, too. Our legal team can help you understand the differences between a survival action and a wrongful death case in Ohio.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accident attorney in Powell, call (614) 538-1116
Proving Negligence and Liability in a Powell Motorcycle Accident Case
Ohio law requires all motorists to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance to cover the damages a victim suffers in an auto accident. This insurance coverage must offer at least:
- $25,000 for injury or death of one person; or
- $50,000 for injury or death of two or more people; and
- $25,000 for property damage.
We can file an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit to try to recover damages after a negligent passenger car driver causes a motorcycle accident.
We Need Supporting Evidence in Your Motorcycle Collision Claim
To succeed in this type of claim, we need to build a strong case against the liable driver of the passenger vehicle. This requires us to investigate the motorcycle accident and collect a variety of evidence for your claim, including:
- The police report issued by responding officers;
- Copies of any citations issued related to the accident;
- A survey of the crash site;
- Any videos of the crash and pictures from the scene;
- Statements from motorcycle accident eyewitnesses;
- Data from accident reconstruction specialists and other expert witnesses;
- Surveys of the damage to your motorcycle and any other vehicles involved;
- Your medical records; and
- Documentation of your expenses and other damages.
Our motorcycle accident team will use this evidence to prove the passenger vehicle driver acted negligently. This means we must show that four details were true in your case:
- The driver of the passenger car had a duty to drive in a careful and reasonable way;
- They failed to do so;
- This failure led to your accident and injuries; and
- You suffered financial damages and physical injuries.
Once we have a strong case showing the passenger car driver acted negligently, we can pursue an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit to try to hold them liable for your injury-related damages.
Powell Motorcycle Accident Attorney (614) 538-1116
Trying to Recover Compensation After a Powell, OH, Motorcycle Accident
Our motorcycle accident attorneys typically begin the process of trying to recover compensation by sending a demand letter to the insurance agency that represents the at-fault driver of the passenger vehicle. This letter outlines our case and details your accident-related damages. Often, we can reach a fair settlement at this point in the process without having to file a lawsuit or appear in court.
If the insurance company refuses to negotiate or will not give us a settlement that covers your full range of losses, our injury lawyers can take further action. We can file a personal injury lawsuit and take your case to court. We will represent you throughout this process, and ask the judge to award compensation based on your motorcycle accident case’s details.
Click to contact our Powell Personal Injury Lawyers today
What Should I Know About Motorcycle Accident Cases in Powell, OH?
If this is your first time seeking compensation after a motorcycle crash, our injury lawyers understand that you may have many questions. We hope to put some of your questions to rest by sharing some pertinent information below. These are some observations we’ve made in our years of serving injured Ohioans:
- Insurance companies don’t always play fair. Even if your motorcycle collision case seems straightforward, the insurance company may still deny your claim. When that happens, we can negotiate for what you need by presenting new information or reevaluating your coverage options.
- It’s important to promptly consider your financial recovery options. Our motorcycle accident team wants to learn about your case as quickly as possible. That way, we can follow the state’s statutory deadline and locate time-sensitive pieces of evidence.
- Navigating the claims process without legal help is difficult. You don’t want to manage a motorcycle accident claim on your own after getting hurt. You deserve this time to focus on your well-being. In the meantime, our motorcycle injury attorneys can fight for what you need.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Talk to a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Serving Powell Today
Powell motorcycle accident attorney David Bressman and the team from Bressman Law can build a strong case against the passenger vehicle driver who caused your crash and use it to fight for compensation on your behalf. We treat every client like a member of our family and dedicate ourselves to getting you the best possible outcome in your case.
Call us today at (614) 538-1116 for your complimentary case review and consultation with a member of our personal injury team.