Truck accidents can cause severe, life-threatening injuries. If you got hurt in a truck accident, you may be eligible to recover compensation for your losses. A Powell cargo truck accident lawyer at Bressman Law could help you pursue the monetary damages you deserve. If your close relative died from a truck accident, we might be able to go after additional forms of compensation for legal beneficiaries.
You do not have to be rich to get our help. We handle truck accident cases on a contingency-fee-basis. That means we do not charge upfront legal fees. We get paid out of the settlement proceeds or court award at the conclusion of your case. Otherwise, you do not pay us our attorney’s fees.
You can call us today at (614) 538-1116 to get started. We offer your initial consultation at no cost. There is no obligation.
Factors that Can Increase the Risk of Large Truck Accidents
Truck drivers provide a necessary service to our communities. However, some aspects of the profession may make them more prone to causing collisions.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reveals that the following elements may increase the risk of a trucker causing an accident:
- Long hours behind the wheel
- A sedentary lifestyle without much physical activity
- Consuming a high amount of fast and junk food as opposed to nutritious, healthy food because they spend so much time on the highways
- High stress
- Schedules that change frequently
Many drivers rely on the use of substances (such as stimulants) to cope with the long hours on the road. If substance abuse or any of the factors listed above caused your accident, you could hold the trucker and the company they work for accountable for your losses.
For a free legal consultation with a cargo truck accident attorney in Powell, call (614) 538-1116
What We Have to Prove to Hold the Negligent Party Liable for Your Losses
If you get into a collision with a cargo truck in Powell, Ohio, we cannot automatically sue the truck driver. We must show how the trucker is responsible for the accident.
The American Bar Association (ABA) says that we have to prove all of these factors to establish negligence:
- Duty of care. The other party must have owed you a duty of care. Everybody who utilizes public roads has a civic duty of care to promote the safety of themselves and others.
- Breach of duty of care. It is negligence when someone does something that violates their legal duty of care. Let’s say that the trucker drove faster than the speed limit because they were behind schedule. Speeding constitutes negligence.
- Causation. Your lawyer must be able to connect the negligent driver’s actions with the collision in question. In our scenario, the truck driver could not slow down in time to avoid a collision because of their excessive speed. Because the driver caused the collision, they could be responsible for any ensuing damages.
- Quantifiable damages. You must have measurable financial losses for your case to be successful. Your medical bills and lost income would satisfy this requirement. You cannot file a personal injury case on the basis of emotional anguish alone.
Once we prove all of these elements, we can pursue a claim or lawsuit on your behalf. You do not have to sort out the aspects of liability by yourself. When a Powell cargo truck accident lawyer at Bressman Law handles your truck accident injury case, you can focus on your health and family without regard to your legal matters. You can call us today at (614) 538-1116 to find out how we can help you.
Powell Cargo Truck Accident Attorney (614) 538-1116
How Much Compensation You Can Get for a Powell Cargo Truck Accident
We cannot say how much compensation you can seek for your cargo truck accident. Each injury case is different. The amount of money you can pursue will depend on the unique facts of your situation.
Here are some types of awards we have won for our clients:
- Medical expenses. You can usually recover the reasonable cost of the medical treatment you needed for your injuries, including things like the ambulance, hospital, doctors, physical therapy, x-rays, lab tests, and pain management medications.
- Lost income. If you did not get paid your regular wages, salary, self-employment, or other income because of your injuries, you can add those financial losses to your claim.
- Future medical costs. If your doctor thinks that you will need additional medical procedures (like an operation) in the future, we can add that estimated cost to your claim.
- Decreased earning capacity. You might have financial losses if you had to take a lower-paying position or reduce your working hours because of ongoing problems from your injuries.
- Pain and suffering. This expense refers to the physical discomfort and emotional distress of the accident and your injuries.
Legal beneficiaries could qualify for additional compensation if their close relative died because of a cargo truck collision. These losses include loss of consortium, the decedent’s medical bills, and lost income.
These are but a few recoverable losses from a truck accident. However, to estimate the cost of your collision-related expenses, we will first need to talk to you and learn about your situation.
Click to contact our Powell Truck Accident Lawyers today
Avoid These Mistakes After a Powell Cargo Truck Accident
Your Powell cargo truck accident lawyer will advise you on what measures could help or harm your case.
You should avoid these pitfalls following a collision:
- Procrastination. Our state only gives you two years to file a personal injury lawsuit, according to Ohio Revised Code (ORC) §2305.10. For wrongful death lawsuits, you also have two years to file, per ORC §2125.01. If you miss the deadline, you could lose the right to get compensation for your losses.
- Concerns about cost. Because we handle these cases on a contingency-fee-basis, money will not stand between you and justice.
- Agreeing to a recorded statement. Some insurance companies make their profits by paying as little money as possible to injured people. You should consult your lawyer before agreeing to give a recorded statement.
You can call Bressman Law today to learn more about what measures could work to promote your case’s success.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Pursue Compensation with Bressman Law
A Powell cargo truck accident lawyer at Bressman Law can advocate for your legal rights so you can focus on getting better and rebuilding your life. Our clients describe us as warm and caring. We love to help people who get hurt because of negligence.
Check out our Google reviews. Our clients love us! You can call us today at (614) 538-1116 to find out why.