What types of experience should I look for when hiring a personal injury attorney in Ohio?
When searching for a personal injury attorney in Columbus, there are several different factors to consider when evaluating attorney experience, including the number of years he or she has been practicing, and how many cases similar to yours that the lawyer has handled. Because hiring the right attorney can be very helpful to the outcome of your case, thoroughly research your prospects so you can make informed choices.
How to Hire an Attorney
Consider experience when you’re looking to hire an attorney to represent you, you’ll naturally want to find a lawyer who will best handle your case. An emerging law firm may seem enthusiastic and hungry for your business, but that doesn’t necessary mean it will be able to handle your case effectively.
An established personal injury attorney will have more background experience from which to draw, be more comfortable with the various aspects of claim and court proceedings, and have compiled an advantageous legal knowledge and wisdom that could benefit your case.
Some of the experience you should look for when hiring an attorney includes:
- experience dealing with not only personal injury cases, but your specific type of case (e.g., car accident, slip and fall accident, motorcycle accident, etc.);
- experience successfully settling cases, as well as taking claims to court should an acceptable settlement not be reached;
- a knowledge of Ohio state personal injury laws, inside and out; and
- familiarity with the local court system.
You might also ask attorneys about their contributions to the field or public knowledge of personal injury law. Have they written any articles on the subject? Do they speak about or have they authored any books about their area of expertise? Being inquisitive at the onset of your hunt for an attorney can set the stage for a beneficial, long-lasting client-attorney relationship down the road.
Other Characteristics You Should Look for in an Attorney
In addition to inquiring about an attorney’s experience, credentials, and competence, there are several other characteristics that good Columbus personal injury attorneys possess.
You’ll also want to ensure that the attorney:
- seems patient and accommodating toward your questions and concerns (if they seem hurried or inattentive, it could mean their caseload is too heavy or that they are simply not placing high enough priority on your case);
- explains their methods, tactics, and procedures to you in a way that you understand, and that you agree with their strategies;
- has verifiable testimonials that you can review; and
- shares specific methods and means to contact him or her, as well as an acceptable response time (being left in the dark when you have a question or concern can damage a client-attorney relationship.
After you’ve located a prospect that meets the description of an experienced attorney, you’ll want to begin scheduling consultations at your earliest convenience in order to avoid exceeding Ohio’s statutes of limitations: two years for personal injury cases.
The importance of hiring an attorney with enough experience to handle your case professionally and effectively cannot be overstated. David Bressman is a Columbus personal injury attorney who has helped many clients recover compensation for their damages. Call us today at 866-777-6680.