Many people who are injured in pedestrian accidents face devastating injuries, long recovery periods, and massive medical bills that can be financially overwhelming. Families who lose a loved one in a pedestrian accident may be left without financial support.
If a driver hit you or a loved one, you might be entitled to financial compensation known as damages. Damages can compensate you for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
While you can seek damages on your own, you may be more comfortable working with a pedestrian accident lawyer serving Marion with experience handling these types of cases from Bressman Law.
Determining Fault in a Pedestrian Accident
Our personal injury lawyer will investigate who was at fault in a pedestrian accident. Much of the time, the driver is at fault. All drivers have an obligation, known as a duty of care, to drive in a way that does not put pedestrians at risk of harm.
Drivers who violate this duty of care are considered negligent. Drivers who cause an accident through negligence can be considered liable and financially responsible for it.
Many types of negligence can cause a pedestrian accident. Here are some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents:
- Failure to yield to a pedestrian at a crosswalk
- Failure to stop at a stop sign or traffic light
- Failure to signal while turning
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Texting or talking on the phone while driving
- Failure to consider weather and road conditions while driving
For a free legal consultation with a pedestrian accident attorney in Marion, call (614) 538-1116
Typical Injuries Resulting from Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrians hit by cars can sustain serious injuries. Some typical injuries from pedestrian accidents include:
- Bone fractures
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spinal cord injuries
Some of these injuries, especially TBIs and spinal cord injuries, can be permanently disabling. Some pedestrian accident victims require lifelong care, can never return to work, and may never resume their previous lifestyle.
Marion Pedestrian Accident Attorney (614) 538-1116
Possible Compensation from a Pedestrian Accident
Every pedestrian accident is different. We will evaluate your case and estimate how much compensation you may be able to recover. Our team can never guarantee an outcome, though. You may be able to recover damages for:
- Medical care: emergency room visits, diagnostic imaging, surgeries, follow-up care, rehabilitative therapies, and more
- Future medical care: if your doctors anticipate you will need future treatments, surgeries, or therapies
- Medical equipment: braces, walkers, wheelchairs, and more
- Lost wages: if you are unable to work during your recovery or if you cannot return to work
- Pain and suffering: if you experience a reduced quality of life, chronic pain, mental anguish, and more
If you lost a loved one, you might be able to recover damages for:
- Funeral and burial expenses: fees for embalming or cremation, a coffin, memorial service, transportation, flowers, officiant, and more
- Loss of support: the income that your family member would have provided
- Loss of services: household chores, childcare, and home maintenance tasks that your family member would have performed
- Loss of inheritance: income the surviving spouse and children might have expected
- Mental anguish: the distress surviving family members experience because of the loss
Click to contact our Marion Personal Injury Lawyers today
How Injured Pedestrians Can Pursue Compensation
As an injured pedestrian, you can pursue compensation through a settlement or litigation. Many people prefer to seek a settlement first and avoid going to court if possible.
You can do this on your own, but you may prefer working with a lawyer who has experience handling pedestrian accident cases in Marion. Here are some ways your personal injury lawyer with Bressman Law can help you pursue compensation:
Investigate Your Marion Pedestrian Accident
While the police and insurance company will investigate your accident, your lawyer will investigate it independently to look for evidence of negligence by the driver who hit you. He will collect evidence such as:
- Traffic camera footage
- Pictures of the scene
- Eyewitness statements
- Cell phone records
- Toxicology reports
- Police reports
Estimate the Value of Your Damages
Your lawyer will estimate how much your damages are worth and use that to negotiate a settlement with the insurance provider. He will use evidence such as:
- Medical bills and records
- Pictures of your injuries
- Past wage statements
- Interviews with your doctors, your friends, family members, and you
Communicate with the Insurance Company
You do not have to speak with the driver who hit you or his insurance provider. Your lawyer will take over these tasks and submit an insurance claim and supporting documents for you.
Negotiate a Settlement
Your lawyer will negotiate an insurance settlement that fairly compensates you for your losses.
File a Lawsuit
If necessary, your lawyer will sue the at-fault driver.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Filing a Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit
We work hard to negotiate a settlement that adequately compensates you for your injuries. However, in some cases, the insurance provider refuses to agree to a fair settlement. When that happens, we will file a pedestrian accident lawsuit and seek compensation in court.
Your lawyer will file the lawsuit on your behalf and make sure that you meet important legal deadlines. If you delay filing, you may lose your chance to take legal action against the at-fault driver. The following deadlines may apply to your case:
- Ohio Revised Code Section 2305.10 sets the statute of limitations for personal injury. This is generally two years.
- Ohio Revised Code Section 2125.02 sets the statute of limitations for wrongful death. This also is generally two years.
Positive Reviews for Bressman Law
Over the years, we have helped many personal injury victims seek justice and financial compensation for their injuries. Here are some of our client reviews:
“David Bressman is an excellent lawyer, and his stuff is wonderful. I would highly recommend David…”
“I was not looking forward to engaging a lawyer to handle my car accident case. Fortunately a friend recommended David and I couldn’t have been happier. He took care of everything and explained the process in an easy to understand way. I’m happy to have this case closed and finally behind me.”
Bressman Law Is Ready to Represent You After Pedestrian Accident
If you were injured or lost a family member in a pedestrian accident on Main Street, in McKinley Park, or anywhere within Marion or other nearby communities, you may be entitled to financial compensation from the driver who hit you. Our lawyer with Bressman Law may be able to help you recover damages for medical expenses and more.
Call our office today (614) 538-1116 for a free case consultation. You pay nothing unless we win your case, because we work on contingency.